Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce Won second place in the Mild Mustard Category in the 1994 American Royal International Barbecue Sauce Contest. Like the Tried and true bbq sauce, it is from Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Sauces.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups prepared yellow mustard
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large nonreactive bowl. Add the lemon juice, vinegar, apple cider, and Worcestershire sauce. Blend with a wire whisk until the spices are dissolved. Then blend in the molasses and mustard. Sauce will keep for several weeks in an airtight jar in the fridge.
Use as a finishing sauce for pork butt, painted on about 30 minutes before the end of cooking. Or try warm or cold, on a pulled pork sammich.