Tried and True Barbecue Sauce (bastardized by pete), is based on a the recipe from Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Sauces.
Awesome all around BBQ sauce.
- 2 tablespoons Master Barbecue Spice* (this is a recipe, to follow.. but any rub (such as Magic dust) will do).
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (i use ketchup instead)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- >> I add several shots of dry mustard powder and cayenne.
Combine all dry ingredients except the sugar in a saucepan. Add tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar. Mix well and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally (and season to taste). This sauce is a good finishing sauce for any meat, or a good dipping sauce. I will attest its great for chicken nuggets and pulled pork sammiches alike.
You cannot screw this one up. I’ve tried and it still comes out great.