This one is from the original Joy of Cooking. They changed the recipe at some point and it wasn’t as good.
- 1 cup butter
- 2/3 cups sugar
- Beat in 1 egg
Combine in a bowl:
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Add the flower mixture to the butter/sugar/egg mixture
Chill dough for 3 to 4 hours before rolling. Â
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roll out and cut.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly colored.
- Let them cool a bit before you try to take them off the cookie sheet.
- Decorate while still a little warm.
Excess dough can be rerolled and used again.Â Alexis is right about not beating the hell out of the dough when making it.Â You don’t want tough cookies.Â I used to work it into manageable balls by hand to refrigerate.
Need decorating ideas? Evil Barnyard Animals are super festive!