Honey-Chipotle Baked Beans
- 1/2 cup minced shallots (about 5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped (Goya makes this)
- 2 (28-ounce) cans baked beans
Preheat oven to 300Â°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots; sautÃ© 4 minutes or until golden. Add cumin and garlic; sautÃ© for 1 minute. Add tomato puree and oil, and cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add honey and the next 5 ingredients (through chiles). Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine beans and shallot mixture in a 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 300Â° for 1 hour or until thick and bubbly.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
NUTRITION PER SERVING CALORIES 286(7% from fat); FAT 2.2g (sat 0.1g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 8.3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 88mg; SODIUM 709mg; FIBER 9.9g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 54g
Jennifer Martinkus Cooking Light, JULY 2006